A Selection of Fifty Original British Columbia Historical Photographs for:

The Vancouver Rare Book, Photograph & Paper Show

(Saturday, October 7 – 9:00AM to 5:00PM; Sunday, October 8 – 10:00AM to 3:00PM
@Heritage Hall, 3102 Main Street, Vancouver)

Items Available for Immediate Sale


If you wish to purchase any item please email us at:wayfarers@shaw.ca


Images are not to scale. Email us to request more photos of an item.



BAILEY BROTHERS


Bailey Bros. photography company (active ca. 1890-1898) was founded by a famous Vancouver based photographer Charles S. Bailey (1869-1896) and his brother William (1865-ca. 1836), the latter replacing H.G. Neelands in the “Bailey & Neelands” partnership (1889-1890). The company dealt in photography, books and stationary. After his move to Kamloops in 1896 Charles Bailey managed the local branch of Bailey Bros. His early death in 1898 put an end to the enterprise (Camera Workers: The British Columbia, Alaska & Yukon Photographic Directory online, vol. 1).




1. [VANCOUVER]
[Original Albumen Photograph Titled:] Vancouver. B.C. From Secord House, Powell St.

Ca. 1890s. Original albumen photograph ca. 17 x 23 cm (6 ¾ x 9 in.). Captioned and signed by studio “Bailey Brothers Co. Ltd.” in negative. Recently matted. A couple of spots of mild foxing, but otherwise a strong sharp photograph.
An interesting photograph showing houses along Powell Street looking west from Dunlevy Avenue. One of the oldest streets in Vancouver, Powell Street, also known as “Japantown” has become a centre of the Japanese community since the early 1890s.
$975 CAD

 


2. [VANCOUVER]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 863. Vancouver B.C. from Mt. Pleasant.

Ca. 1890s. Gelatin silver print ca. 18,5x23,5 cm (7 ¼ x 9 ¼ in). Numbered, titled and signed “Bailey Bros. Photo, Vancouver, B.C.” in negative, recently matted. Slightly faded, but overall a very good photo.
The photo shows a view north from the 7th Avenue just east of the Westminster Avenue (Main Street) and shows part of Mount Pleasant, False Creek, the New Westminster Trestle Bridge and Vancouver East End in the background.
$650 CAD

 


3. [VANCOUVER]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 721. Part of Vancouver from Hotel Vancouver.

Ca. 1890s. Gelatin silver print ca. 11x18,5 cm (4 ¼ x 7 ¼ in). Numbered, titled and signed “Bailey Bros. Photo, Vancouver, B.C.” in negative, mounted on period card and recently matted. With another albumen print showing Llandudno mounted on verso. A very good photo.
The photo shows a corner of Granville and Georgia streets, with the red-brick building of the first Hudson’s Bay Company’s store on the right. This building was constructed in 1893 and was slowly reconstructed and incorporated into the present HBC building in 1914-1949.
$750 CAD

 

BAILEY & NEELANDS


The “Bailey & Neelands” photography company was established in the summer 1889 by two Vancouver based photographers Charles S. Bailey (1869-1896) and Hamilton George Neelands (1859?-1935). The partnership was dissolved in December 1890 and succeeded by that of the Bailey Bros. (ca. 1890-1898). H. Neelands moved to Nelson with his brother James and established with him the photographic firm of the Neelands Bros. (ca. 1891-1897) (Camera Workers: The British Columbia, Alaska & Yukon Photographic Directory online, vol. 1).




4. [KOOTENAYS – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 651. Hermit Range, Selkirks, from Glacier.

Ca. 1890. Albumen print ca. 11x18,5 cm (4 ¼ x 7 ¼ in). Titled in negative, mounted on a period paper leaf with manuscript text “Canadian Pacific Railway. (7 Sept. – 12 Sept. 1893). (Rocky Mountains, Canada). The Selkirk Mountains (11 Sept.)” and recently matted. A very good bright photo.
“Selkirk Mountains are one of 4 parallel ranges (the others are the Purcell, Monashee and Cariboo Mts.) in south-central BC that form the Columbia Mts. system. They are named for the Earl of Selkirk, a 19th-century British colonizer. The Selkirks extend 350 km from the Big Bend of the Columbia R. in the north to the US border, creating a natural divide between the Arrow Lakes on the west and Kootenay Lake to the east. Much of the range is protected in Glacier and Mt. Revelstoke National Parks and in a series of provincial parks. Around Rogers Pass, which carries the CPR and the Trans-Canada Hwy. across the mountains, are several impressive peaks with spectacular relief, including Mt. Sir Sandford, at 3,530 m the highest in the range. The mineral-rich central and southern Selkirks were the scene of successive mining booms from the late 1880s to the 1920s” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$425 CAD

 


5. [KOOTENAYS – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 833. Interior of Snow Shed, C.P.R. Selkirks.

Ca. 1890. Albumen print ca. 11x18,5 cm (4 ¼ x 7 ¼ in). Titled in negative, mounted on original photographers’ card with gild stamp “Bailey & Neelands, Vancouver B.C.” Ink stamp “From the collection of T.D. Kilpatrick. Vancouver, B.C.” on verso. A very good photo.
The photo shows one of the 31 show sheds built in the Rogers Pass (the Selkirks) to protect the CPR line from avalanches, a common occurrence in winter in this area. “Rogers Pass, el 1,323 m, in Glacier National Park 70 km east of Revelstoke through the Selkirk Mts., is named for A.B. Rogers, the CPR surveyor who located it in 1881. Construction of the railway over the pass in the summer of 1885 was plagued by forest fires, mud slides and avalanches of snow, which forced closure of the line during the first winter of operation. In 1886 construction began on 31 snow sheds to protect the track, and in 1916 the CPR built the 8-km Connaught Tunnel to reduce the steep grade and to allow trains to avoid this hazardous section. The Mt Macdonald Tunnel, at 14.7 km the longest railway tunnel in N. America, was built from 1984 to 1988 to further improve the Rogers Pass section. In 1962 the Trans-Canada Hwy. opened over the pass” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$425 CAD

 


6. [VICTORIA]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 705. Victoria, B.C. from Government Buildings.

Ca. 1890. Albumen print ca. 11x18,5 cm (4 ¼ x 7 ¼ in). Titled in negative, mounted on the original photographers’ card with printed text “Bailey and Neelands. Vancouver B.C.” on the mount. A very good bright photo.
The photo overlooks the Inner Harbour of Victoria, showing the wooden bridge across the original James Bay before it was filled in 1903-1904; the CPR “Empress” hotel was erected on the site in 1908.
$850 CAD

 

CAPLE, Norman


“Norman Caple (1866-1911) is supposed to have arrived in Canada in 1888 where he met Richard Henry Trueman (1856-1911) through relatives or friends. The two men formed a partnership and had set up headquarters in Vancouver by 1890.” “Norman Caple established his own studio after his partnership with R.H. Trueman had dissolved towards the end of 1893.” He was active from 1894 to 1896 (Camera Workers: The British Columbia, Alaska & Yukon Photographic Directory online, vol. 1).





7. [GOLDEN – C.P.R.]
[Original Albumen Photograph Titled:] Logging Shanty & Loggers, Golden, BC.

Ca. 1894-96. Original albumen photograph ca. 16.5 x 23 cm (6 ½ x 9 in.) mounted on original stiff card mount, captioned and signed “N. Caple & Co. Photo.” by studio in negative. Recently matted. Photograph slightly soiled and worn, with two albumen photographs captioned “Bruxelles” on verso, otherwise a very good photograph.
This interesting photograph shows a snowy winter scene in which a group of loggers are standing in front of log cabins in Golden, BC. “The first settlement of Golden was established in 1882, while Major AB Rogers was searching for a route through the Selkirk Mountains for the Canadian Pacific Railway's transcontinental railway. Golden City became a base camp for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) as it extended its line further and further west. After 1885, with the railway in operation, the town abbreviated its name to just "Golden." … Through most of the 20th century, the forest industry was the backbone of the local economy. The Louisiana Pacific mill and the Canadian Pacific Railway continue to be significant employers in town.” (Golden/ Super, Natural British Columbia online).
$850CAD

 


8. [VANCOUVER – GRANVILLE STREET]
[Original Albumen Photograph Showing a Horse-Drawn Wagon on North Arm Road / Granville Street (Near 37th Avenue?) Through the Forest, Titled:] On the Road to the Fisheries.

Ca. 1894-96. Original albumen photograph ca. 23.5 x 18.5 cm (9 ¼ x 7 ¼ in.) mounted on original stiff card mount, captioned and signed “N. Caple & Co. Photo.” by studio in negative. Recently matted. Old mount residue on verso, image mildly faded and one minor crease in the bottom right corner, otherwise a very good photograph.
The location on the photo has been ascertained on the basis of similar photographs from the Major Matthews collection of the City of Vancouver Archives (Reference codes AM54-S4-: Str P16, AM54-S4-: Str P156, AM54-S4-: Str P97, and others).
$850CAD

 

CARPENTER, William Jefferson


Established in Rossland in 1896 or 1897 as Carpenter and Millar, the partnership dissolved about 1899 and Carpenter (1861-1925) ran the business as Carpenter and Company from 1901-1903. He worked out of Spokane between at least 1905 and 1908, then moved to Vancouver and remained there until 1913. His studio in Vancouver was also known as the Carpenter Studio (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).


9. [GREENWOOD – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph Panorama, Titled]: C.P.R. Laying Track into Greenwood, B.C.

Ca. early 1900s. Gelatin silver print ca. 12,5x17,5 cm (5x7 in). Titled in negative; mounted on photographer’s original card with printed signature “Carpenter & Co. Rossland, Greenwood, B.C.” Overall a very good photo.
“Greenwood, Canada's smallest city, pop. 666 (2001), is located on Boundary Creek 18 km west of Grand Forks in the Boundary District. It was founded in 1895 by Robert Wood, a merchant, and incorporated as a city in 1897. Greenwood prospered during the ensuing mining boom, and the population grew to 3,000. The BC Copper Co. blew in a smelter at nearby Anaconda in 1901 to treat copper ore from its Deadwood and Mother Lode deposits; the brick smelter stack was still visible a century later. Following WWI and the collapse of mining, Greenwood almost became a ghost town. During WWII Japanese Canadians from the coast were interned here and many stayed on” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$525CAD

 

CUMMING BROS.


Cumming Bros., a Lillooet based photo studio (ca. 1892-1895?) was managed by Robert D. and William, Jr. Cumming and specialized in views of the Fraser River and hydraulic mines (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).

10. [LILLOOET – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph View of the Lillooet’s Old Bridge over Fraser River, with Mt. Chadwick on the Far Left].

Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 14,5x20 cm (5 ¾ x 8 in). Mounted on original photographer’s card with printed advertising “Cumming Brothers, Photographic Artists., Lillooet, B.C.” on verso. Recently matted. Right corners with creases and minor cracks, image slightly faded, otherwise a very good photo.
The “Old Bridge” in Lillooet was built in 1913 as a suspension bridge. It replaced a winch ferry that was powered by the river current and had been in use since 1860. The “Old Bridge” had until recent times served as the only road bridge across the Fraser between the Alexandra Bridge and Riske Creek. With the construction of the Bridge of 23 Camels, the “Old Bridge” became a pedestrian bridge and is now a popular picnic ground.
$475 CAD

 


11. [LILLOOET]
[Original Photograph View of Lillooet, on the Fraser River, B.C.].

Ca. 1900s. Gelatin silver print ca. 15x20,5 cm (6x8 in). Mounted on original photographer’s card with an ink stamp “M. Cumming, General Merchant, Lillooet, B.C.” on verso. Recently matted. A very good bright photo.
Lillooet was one of the main centres during the gold rush in the Fraser Canyon and the Cariboo; the location of Mile 0 on the Cariboo Wagon Road. The Pacific Great Eastern Railway arrived in 1912 and during WWII Japanese Canadians from the coast were interned there. This photo of Lillooet shows St. Andrew’s United Church with spectacular snow-covered Mt. Chadwick, the Coast Mountains, in the background.
$750 CAD

 

MACMUNN, Charles


Charles Macmunn (1840? - 1903) was a professional photographer who worked out of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada between ca.1883 and ca.1900. He was affiliated as a photographer with T.N. Hibben & Co. (books/stationery) who advertised and marketed his photographs of the Canadian Pacific Railway beginning in 1883. (Camera Workers… Online, Vol 1)

12. [VICTORIA]
[Original Albumen Photograph Titled:] James Bay. Victoria, view from Cathedral.

Ca. 1886. Original albumen photograph ca. 18 x 23.5 cm (7 x 9 ¼ in.). Numbered in negative, titled in period manuscript ink with notes in recent pencil on mount: “Major Matthews Collection, City of Van Archives, # 207 Charles Macmunn.” Recently matted. Slight undulation at top right corner of the photograph, and an albumen photograph of a group of students titled “Victoria College, Jersey 1876” pasted on verso; a very strong and sharp photograph.
An interesting view taken from Christ Church Cathedral and overlooking James Bay in what is now downtown Victoria. The photo features James Bay and it's bridge (built in 1869), before it was filled in 1903-1904, the tidal flats, a part of the first Legislative Buildings (known as “Birdcages”) on the far left, John Weiler furniture factory, densely built Inner Harbour up to Laurel Point, and the Esquimalt Peninsula in the background.
$975 CAD

 

MCRAE BROS.


McRae brothers worked in Prince Rupert in the 1910-1940s; their photography and stationary shop was located at 327 - West 3rd Ave.

13. [PRINCE RUPERT – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph of C.P.R. Steamers in Prince Rupert, Titled:] C.P.R. S.S. Princess Mary and Princess Beatrice at Govt. Wharf, Prince Rupert B.C.

Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 14x19,5 cm (5 ½ x 7 ½ in). Titled and signed “McRae” in negative. Recently matted. A minor crease on the left margin, otherwise a very good photo.
Pencil note on verso: “Tug “Florence,” packer for Innerness Cannery - Skeena River B.C., formerly tug in Klondike”.
$375 CAD

 

MAYNARD, Richard and Hannah


Hannah Hatherly was born January 17, 1834 in Bude, England. She married Richard James Maynard, and together they immigrated to Ontario in 1852. They settled in Bowmanville where Richard set up a boot and shoe repair business, and it is during this time that Hannah Maynard learned the art and science of photography. The family moved to Victoria in 1862, where Hannah opened one of the first photography studios in the city… Richard eventually joined the photography business, also as a photographer, and together they operated the Mrs. R. Maynard Photographic Artist studio. Their portraits of people and the British Columbia landscape documented much of the early history of the province. Hannah (nee Hatherly) Maynard passed away May 15, 1918 in Victoria. (Chilliwack Museum & Archives)

14. [VICTORIA HARBOUR]
[Original Albumen Photograph Showing George E. Starr at Victoria Harbour].

Ca. 1878. Albumen photograph ca. 10 x 15 cm (4 x 6 in.) mounted on original white card with the photographer’s copyright printed on verso. Overall a strong, sharp photograph.
This photograph shows the “George E. Starr” steamship docked in the Victoria harbor, the ship’s flag waving at the top of the mast. The ship was built in 1878 for the Puget Sound Steam Navigation Company’s international route to Victoria, B.C. Also visible among the buildings near the docks are the “Occidental Hotel” (corner of Store & Johnson Streets) and a “Sail Loft.”
$575 CAD

 


15. [VICTORIA HARBOUR]
[Original Early Stereo View Showing Victoria’s Inner Harbour].

Ca. 1870s. One pair of albumen prints, ca. 8 x 15.5 cm (3 1/8 x 6 ¼ in), mounted on original yellow card with the photographer’s printed copyrights on recto and verso, with later notes in pencil on verso. With a couple of spots of mild foxing, but otherwise a very good stereo view.
This interesting early stereo view of Victoria’s Inner Harbour up to Laurel Point shows the James Bay Bridge constructed over the tidal flats just a few years earlier (built in 1869, the flats were filled in 1903-1904), and the “Birdcages” Legislative Building on the left (built in 1859).
$475 CAD

 


16. [VICTORIA]
[Original Stereo View Showing a View of Victoria “Looking North from Christ Church”].

Ca. 1870s. One pair of albumen prints, ca. 8 x 15.5 cm (3 1/8 x 6 ¼ in), mounted on original yellow cards with the photographer’s printed copyrights on recto and verso, with later notes in pencil and pen on verso. A small faint stain on one photograph, but otherwise a very good stereo view.
The stereo view taken from the top of Christ Church Cathedral follows the perspective of the Quadra Street with the St. John the Divine Anglican Church in the far right. “The congregation of St. John the Divine was founded in Victoria in 1860 when a prefabricated iron church building, disassembled in England and shipped around Cape Horn on a sailing ship, was completed in the new colony of Vancouver Island. The original building was replaced with a brick building in 1912” (Our Parish/ www.stjohnthedivine.bc.ca).
$475 CAD

 

MURCHIE, Archibald


Archibald Murchie (1852-1930) immigrated to Victoria, BC as an adult. His brother, [John] Murchie would go on to found Murchie’s Tea. Following his calling to become an evangelist minister for the Spiritualist Church, Archibald set off into the interior of BC to preach as a missionary. Although Murchie had dabbled in photography prior to coming to Canada, his career began in earnest when he arrived in Williams Lake, BC, in 1893. Wherever his missionary calling took him, Murchie brought along his camera. (UBC Library Okanagan Special Collections)

17. [YALE]
[Original Photograph View of Yale, BC].

Ca. 1890s. Original albumen photograph ca. 15 x 20.5 cm (5 ¾ x 8 in). Mounted on the original card with the photographer's ink stamp on verso. Mount slightly soiled, with corner edges slightly worn; the image with minor scratches otherwise a strong photograph.
A picturesque view of the historic core of Yale with the Front Street and the CPR station where a train has just stopped, and passengers are getting off and on; the Fraser River is seen on the right. “Yale, B.C. was once the largest city north of San Francisco and west of Chicago. Originally established in 1848 as a Hudson’s Bay Company trading post, Yale grew with the influx of an estimated 30,000 gold miners during the gold rush of 1858. In the 1860’s, with the construction of the Cariboo Wagon Road, Yale became the main terminal for one of the largest sternwheeler routes in North America. The 1880’s saw the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway, with construction headquarters housed in Yale” (Historic Yale/ http://historicyale.ca).
$650 CAD

 

NEELANDS BROTHERS


The Neelands Brothers’ photo studio (ca. 1891-1897) was established by Vancouver photographer Hamilton George Neelands (1859?-1935), earlier a partner in “Bailey & Neelands,” and his brother James F. Neelands. The company was based in Nelson and specialized in landscape photography. Hamilton George Neelands later served as mayor of Nelson and owned mining property in the area. The third brother Samuel Neelands was associated with the firm in 1897 (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).

18. [YALE – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph of a C.P.R. Working Brigade at a Tunnel’s Entrance near Yale, B.C.].

Ca. 1890s. Albumen print ca. 23,5x18,5 cm (9 ¼ x 7 ¼ in). Titled and signed “Neelands Bros., Nelson” in negative, title faded. Recently matted. Image slightly faded, but overall a very good photo.
Yale “was the head of navigation on the Fraser River. Founded in 1848 as a Hudson’s Bay Company fur post, Fort Yale later became a roaring gold-rush town and for 20 years was the starting point of the famous Cariboo Wagon Road. Yale faded with the gold-rush but boomed again in C.P.R. construction days as a wide open western town” (Historic Yale/ Text on the road sign of B.C. Department of Recreation & Conservation).
$475 CAD

 

WILLIAM NOTMAN & SON


“William Notman & Son” (ca. 1880-1900s) was a company founded by William McFarlane Notman (1851-1913), a son of famous Montreal photographer William Notman (1826-1891). William McFarlane took several trips to B.C. with the purpose of taking photographs, accompanied by his brothers Charles F. and George R.W. (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).

19. [VICTORIA]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 1808. Victoria, B.C., from Government Buildings.

Ca. 1887. Albumen print ca. 18x23,5 cm (7 ¼ x 9 ¼ in). Numbered, titled and signed “Wm. Notman & Son, Montreal” in negative. Mounted on a period paper leaf and recently matted. Slightly faded on the extreme left margin, otherwise a very good bright photo.
The photo overlooks the Inner Harbour of Victoria, showing the wooden bridge across James Bay before it was filled in 1903-1904.
$975 CAD

 


20. [VANCOUVER]
[Original Albumen Photograph Titled:] 2143. Vancouver, From C.P.R. Hotel, Showing Harbour.

Ca. 1880s. Original albumen photograph ca. 17.5 x 22.5 cm (6 ¾ x 9 in.), captioned and signed by studio in negative. Recently matted. Minor creases at corners but otherwise a very good strong photograph.
The view was taken from the upper floors of the first Hotel Vancouver of the Canadian Pacific Railway constructed in 1888 on the crossing of Granville and West Georgia Streets. The photo looking north to the Burrard Inlet follows the perspective of Howe Street with the crossing lines of Dunsmuir, West Pender and West Hastings Streets, and features the first Japanese Consulate in Vancouver with a waving Japanese flag (opened in 1889 in a two-story house on Howe St.), Manor House and tennis courts.
$975 CAD

 


21. [KICKING HORSE PASS – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 2088. Lower Kicking Horse Canon. On the Canadian Pacific Railway.

Ca. 1889. Gelatin silver print ca. 24x18,5 cm (9 ¼ x 7 ¼ in). Mounted on a period card leaf and recently matted. Numbered, titled and signed “Wm. Notman & Son Photo., Montreal” in negative. Very good photo.
“Kicking Horse Pass (el 1,622 m) is on the BC-Alberta border 10 km west of Lake Louise. It was named by Dr. James Hector, the naturalist with the Palliser Expedition, who was kicked in the chest by one of his pack horses in Aug 1859 while exploring the river, which was later named the Kicking Horse River. The CPR built its main line through the pass in 1883-84. As it descended down the west side to Field, the railway had the steepest grade of any line in North America. This section of track, known as the "Big Hill," was replaced in 1908 by the Spiral Tunnels. The Trans-Canada Hwy. also follows the pass, which connects Yoho and Banff national parks” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$450 CAD

 


22. [FRASER CANYON – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 1764. Fraser Canon, above Spuzzum on the Canadian Pacific Railway.

Ca. 1889. Gelatin silver print ca. 19x23 cm (7 ½ x 9 in). Mounted on a period card leaf and recently matted. Numbered, titled and signed “Wm. Notman & Son, Montreal” in negative. Photo slightly faded on right and bottom margins, otherwise a very good image.
Silver salts on glass – gelatin dry plate process (McCord Museum online). Spuzzum is an unincorporated settlement in the Fraser Canyon, 18 km north of Yale. The native settlement on the site of modern Spuzzum was first visited by Simon Fraser in 1808 and later became a North Western Company depot. The town lays on the historical Cariboo Wagon Road and became a refuge for gold prospectors during the Fraser Canyon War in 1858. The Alexandra Suspension Bridge was constructed 2 km north of Spuzzum in 1864. The CPR opened a station in the town in 1885.
$450 CAD

 

SHAKESPEARE, Noah


The photographer, Noah Shakespeare (1839-1921) arrived to Victoria in 1863, until the late 1870s he ran his own photo gallery and worked for Amor de Cosmos at the Victoria Daily Standard. In 1875 he entered politics and in 1882 he became Mayor of Victoria and also a conservative member of the Canadian Parliament the same year (see more: Canadian Dictionary of Biography in-line).

23. [VICTORIA «BIRDCAGES»]
[Original Photograph Group Portrait of the Members of the First BC Legislative Assembly posing in from of the “Birdcages”, the first Legislative Building in Victoria].

Victoria, ca. 1874. Albumen print ca. 14,5x19,5 cm (5 ¾ x 7 ¾ in), mounted on original card; matted in a recent mat. Ink photographer’s stamp “N. Shakespeare” on verso. Photo slightly faded, with minor foxing, but overall a very good strong image of this important photo.
Historically important early group portrait of the members of the first Legislative Assembly of British Columbia – after BC's unification with the Dominion of Canada in 1871. The first Legislative Assembly acted from 20 November 1871 to 30 August 1875 and included 25 members. This photo shows 20 members of the Assembly (from left to right): Robert Beaven (1836-1920), John Ash (ca. 1821-1886), A. Rocke Robertson (1841-1881), John Paton Booth (ca. 1838-1902), James Robinson; Josiah Charles Hudges (1843-1886); Robert Smith; Charles Todd; John Robson (1824-1892); William Fraser Tolmie (1812-1886); William M. Brown (1838-1882); John Foster McCreight (1827-1913); George Anthony Walkem (1834-1908); William Smithe (1842-1887); John George Barnston (ca. 1838-1883); Charles Augustus Semlin (1836-1927); William Archibald Robertson (1832-1926); William James Armstrong (1826-1915); Simeon Duck (1834-1905), and James Trimble (ca. 1817-1885). The person in the background standing on the veranda is Legislature janitor George Williams (from the attribution on the base of an identical photo from UBC Special Collections).
The photo includes six Premiers of BC: John Foster McCreight (1st), John Anthony Walkem (3rd and 5th), Robert Beaven (6th), William Smithe (7th), John Robson (9th), Charles A. Semlin (12th); the first Speaker of the Legislative Assembly – James Trimble, the Mayor of Victoria – A. Rocke Robertson (1870) and others.
The photo is dated 1874, as some of the initially elected Legislature members had already been replaced by new ones: A. Bunster and A. De Cosmos (Victoria District) had been replaced with W.A. Robertson and W.F. Tolmie (Feb. 1874); T.B. Humphreys (Lillooet District) had been replaced with W.M. Brown, et al.
The BC politicians are shown in front of the Legislature, the so called “Birdcages”. Built in 1859 on the south side of James Bay, across downtown Victoria, it was replaced with the current Legislature in 1894. The answer to the question about the origin of the name of the first Legislature buildings can be found in the Victoria Gazette, which in the issue from 23 October 1859 wrote: "The first of the series of these structures, which resembles in its mixed style of architecture, the latest fashion of Chinese pagoda, Swiss-cottage and Italian Villa fancy birdcages" (see: Heritage BC Stops on-line).
$1250 CAD

 

THOM, Alexander (or Adam) Barton


A.B. Thom (1849-1926) was a Western Canadian photographer active in ca. 1886-1889; he took a number of images in the Rocky and Selkirk Mountains, and Vancouver. “In 1884-1886, he worked in a partnership with Fred V. Bingham as the “Bingham & Thom Photography Studio” (McCord Museum online). “During 1886 […] he took over 2,000 views along the Canadian Pacific Railway route through the Rockies… During the winters of 1885 through 1889, and possibly later, he spent his winters travelling through the USA and England, giving presentations illustrated with his images. Thom believed the presentations benefitted the Canadian Pacific Railway and immigration to western Canada” (Manitoba Historical Society).

24. [VANCOUVER]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 2121. General View of Vancouver from the West.

Ca. 1887. Albumen print ca. 18x24 cm (7 x 9 ½ in). Mounted on the original photographer’s card (with printed text “A.B. Thom, Winnipeg” on the lower margin). Numbered and titled in negative. Image slightly faded, mount rubbed and worn on extremities, with minor loss of corners, but overall a very good photo.
The photo shows Vancouver waterfront, harbor, and the first Vancouver CPR station erected in 1887 on the shore line of Burrard inlet. This building was replaced with a second CPR station constructed in the Gothic style at the foot of Granville Street in 1899.
$975 CAD

 


25. [KICKING HORSE PASS – C.P.R.]
[Original Stereo View of the Canadian Pacific Railway along Kicking Horse River, Titled:] One Mile East 3rd Crossing, K. H. River

Ca. 1884. Pair of albumen photographs each ca. 9.5 x 8 cm (3 ¾ x 3 in.). Mounted on original brown card with the photographer’s printed copyright and title “Along the Canadian Pacific Railway, from Montreal to the Rockies” on recto and photograph captioned in negative. Extremities of mount with minor wear but otherwise a very good pair of sharp photographs.
The photograph appears to show a worker on the railway and railroad ties along the river bank. The route near Kicking Horse Pass (reached in 1884) presented the most technological challenges considering the steep drop from the summit along the Kicking Horse River (550 metres in 6 km). For this reason, safety switches were installed and special locomotives were ordered in order to improve the safety of the passage, which was four times the maximum gradient recommended for railways at the time.
$425 CAD

 

THOMPSON, Stephen Joseph


Stephen Joseph Thompson (1864-1929) was a “prolific and versatile photographer” based in New Westminster and Vancouver. “He photographed extensively along the Canadian Pacific Railway throughout the 1890s. Thompson visited the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. Two years later he was commissioned to obtain views of farms around Edmonton. In 1898 he accompanied an official expedition to northern B.C. and Wrangel led by the Deputy Minister of Marine and Fisheries, Louis Coste” (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).

26. [ASHCROFT – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 338. Cariboo Freight Wagons Leaving Ashcroft.

Ca. 1890s. Platinum print ca. 19x24 cm (7 ½ x 9 ½ in). Numbered, titled and signed “Thompson Photo” in negative. Recently matted. Old mount residue on verso, otherwise a very good photo.
“Ashcroft, village, pop 1,664 (2006), overlooks the Thompson R. 8 km south of Cache Creek. The settlement was known by several names until 1884, when the CPR arrived; it then became Ashcroft. After a bridge was built across the river in 1886 and the BC Express Co. made headquarters here in 1887, it became the "Gateway to the Cariboo"” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$625 CAD

 


27. [ROGERS PASS – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 768. View on the “Loop”. C.P.R.

Ca. 1900s. Platinum print ca. 24x19 cm (7 ½ x 7 ½ in). Numbered, titled and signed “Thompson Photo” in negative. Recently matted. Old mount residue on verso, minor soiling in the upper right corner, otherwise a very good photo.
The photo shows CPR tracks in the area of Rogers Pass.
$425 CAD

 


28. [SISKA – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 330. Cisco Bridge.

Ca. 1890s. Platinum print ca. 19x24 cm (7 ½ x 9 ½ in). Numbered, titled and signed “Thompson Photo” in negative. Recently matted. Old mount residue on verso, otherwise a very good photo.
Siska (historically known as Cisco) is a locality in the Fraser Canyon, 9.4 km south of Lytton. The photo shows the original cantilever Cisco Bridge, installed by the CPR at the spot in 1883 and replaced by a truss bridge in 1910. Later another bridge was built up the stream by the Canadian National Railway, making Siska a popular spot of rail fans who can often see two trains on both bridges simultaneously.
$425 CAD

 


29. [VANCOUVER]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 1217. Georgia St., Vancouver.

Ca. 1890s. Platinum print ca. 18,5x23,5 cm (7 ¼ x 9 ¼ in). Numbered, captioned and signed “Thompson Photo” in negative. Recently matted. Old mount residue on verso, image slightly faded, otherwise a very good photo.
$725 CAD

 

TOWNE, Bertram C.


"Bertram C. Towne was a photographer active in Portland, Oregon, during the period 1884-1895. From 1884-1887, B.C. Towne and Elbridge W. Moore operated the San Francisco Gallery in Portland as partners, having assumed control of the gallery after the death of W.H. Towne. At this time, the studio was also listed as "Towne & Moore." From 1888-1895, the studio operated as "B.C. Towne Photograph Company" and was located on First Street in Portland. In October 1890, the West Shore, a popular weekly publication that promoted life in the Pacific Northwest, named Towne as a photographic contest winner in the "professional" category. Carl Mautz, in Biographies of Western Photographers (1997), states that Towne's studio "became one of the premier galleries in Portland, employing many of the best photographers in the area" and that it "published boudoir format scenes of Alaska, the Columbia River, Mount Hood, and other Northwest scenes."" (Guide to the Bertram C. Towne Photographs/ University of Washington Libraries online).


30. [NANAIMO]
[Original Photograph Titled in ink on verso:] 48. At Nanaimo, B.C.

Ca. 1890s. Original albumen photograph ca. 11x19,5 cm (4 ¼ x 7 ¾ in). Mounted on the original photographer's card with printed signature and general title: "B.C. Towne, Portland, Oregon. Alaska, Columbia River and Northwest Scenery" on the lower margin. With a period manuscript ink title on verso. Minor old mount residue on verso, otherwise a very strong photograph.
An early interesting view of the loading dock in the port of Nanaimo.
$650 CAD

 

TRUEMAN & CAPLE


"The partnership of photographers Richard Henry Trueman (1856-1911) and Norman Caple (1866-1911) lasted from ca. 1890 to 1893. They travelled the Canadian Pacific Railway line for about a year and then set up headquarters in Vancouver. Their catalogue, published about 1891, listed views numbered from 500 to 985 in three sizes. After Trueman & Caple had been dissolved towards the end of 1893, both men continued in the photographic business as N. Caple & Co. and R.H. Trueman & Co. Trueman was a superb landscape photographer and was one of few West Coast photographers to print his negatives on platinum paper. The first modern public exhibit of his work was produced by the Peter and Catharine Whyte Foundation, Banff, in 1981" (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).


31. [FRASER CANYON – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 816. C.P.R. in the Fraser Canyon, B.C., showing Four Tunnels below North Bend.

Ca. 1890s. Albumen print ca. 18x24,5 cm (7 x 9 ½ in) mounted on original photographers’ card with gilt printed stamp “Trueman & Caple, Photographers. S.W. Cor. Cordova and Cambie Streets, Vancouver B.C.” Numbered and titled in negative. A very good photo.
“North Bend was founded during the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway in the 1880s and was the site of various Canadian Pacific Railway company offices and housing. Equipped with a small railway hotel, Fraser Canyon House, aka the North Bend Hotel or the CPR Hotel, and another, larger hotel, the Mountain Hotel, and within a few hours' range of Vancouver by rail, the town prospered until the era of highway travel, when it became isolated” (Wikipedia).
$475 CAD

 


32. [SISKA – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph Titled:] 964. C.P.R. Cantileyer Bridge, Crossing Fraser River, Cisco, B.C.

Ca. 1890s. Albumen print ca. 18x24,5 cm (7 x 9 ½ in) mounted on original photographers’ card with gilt printed stamp “Trueman & Caple, Photographers. S.W. Cor. Cordova and Cambie Streets, Vancouver B.C.” Numbered and titled in negative. A very good photo.
Siska (historically known as Cisco) is a locality in the Fraser Canyon, 9.4 km south of Lytton. The photo shows the original cantilever Cisco Bridge, installed by the CPR at the spot in 1883 and replaced by a truss bridge in 1910. Later another bridge was built up the stream by the Canadian National Railway, making Siska a popular spot of rail fans who can often see two trains on both bridges simultaneously.
$475 CAD

 

PHOTOGRAPHS BY ANONYMOUS PHOTOGRAPHERS

33. [ESQUIMALT]
[Original Albumen Photograph of Naval Ships Near James Bay, Titled:] Esquimalt – James. 6 – 96. Vancouver Island B.C.

1896. Original gelatin silver photograph ca. 18 x 24 cm (7 x 9 3/8 in.) on period stiff card mount. Numbered “363” in negative, titled in period manuscript ink on the mount. Recently matted. Minor creases and cracking but overall a strong clear photograph.
“Esquimalt officially became the headquarters of the Royal Navy’s Pacific Station in 1865, although the navy had constructed buildings on Duntze Head as early as 1855. By the 1880s rapid growth was occurring through the building of Royal Navy dry docks (1887), the construction of the Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway (1886), and the founding of a military base at Work Point (1887). Esquimalt’s attractive setting made it a desirable residential location for many of Victoria’s business and political leaders. The navy base was abandoned by the admiralty in 1905 but became the West Coast base of the newly-created Royal Canadian Navy in 1910” (Canadian Encyclopedia online).
$525 CAD

 


34. [GRAND FORKS]
[Original Photograph View of a Street in Grand Forks, with Cars and Horse Carriages Lining up].

Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 20x24 cm (7 ¾ x 9 ½ in). Mounted on original card and recently matted. Minor water stain on the upper margin of the mount, not affecting the image; the photo is in very good condition.
“Grand Forks, city, pop. 4,054 (2001), is named for its location in a broad valley at the confluence of the Granby and Kettle rivers in the Boundary District, about 100 km west of Castlegar. The pace of settlement quickened in 1895 with completion of wagon roads north from Marcus, WA, and east from Penticton. The construction of the Columbia & Western Rwy. from Castlegar through Grand Forks to Midway in 1898-99, promising a steady supply of smelting coal from the Crowsnest fields, prompted the Granby Mining & Smelting Co. to construct a smelter at Grand Forks to treat copper ore from Phoenix. In Aug 1900, 3 years after incorporation of the city, the smelter was blown in. Successive improvements to the smelter, which operated until 1919, made it the largest copper smelter in the British Empire and the second largest in the world” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$625 CAD

 


35. [KOOTENAYS – C.P.R.]
[Original Albumen Photograph Showing C.P.R. Workers and Businesses Along the Tracks, Titled:] Summit of Selkirks.

Ca. 1880s. Original albumen photograph ca. 18 x 24 cm (7 x 9 ¼ in.), mounted on period stiff card mount, captioned in period manuscript pencil on mount. Overall a strong photograph. Also with albumen photograph mounted on verso captioned “Ross Pass and Snow Shed.”
An interesting view of four C.P.R. workers gathered on a railway push cart, and one man holding a bale of hay, showing buildings along the tracks and the Selkirk mountains in the background. Businesses visible in the photograph include “Tom’s” and “Pacific Hotel Walsh & Matthews.” On the verso, a photograph of snow shed 22 at Ross Pass.
$850 CAD

 


36. [NEW WESTMINSTER]
[Early Rare Original Photograph Panorama of New Westminster Taken from Fraser River].

Ca. 1870. Albumen print ca. 17x21,5 cm (6 ½ x 8 ½ in). Mounted on period card and recently matted. Period ink inscription “New Westminster, British Columbia” on verso. Image slightly faded, with a few minor stains, but overall a very good rare photo.
This early panorama depicts the first steps in development of New Westminster’s downtown core, showing the Royal Columbian Hospital (the twin gabled building), Telegraph House and Holy Trinity Church. A similar photo is now in the collection of the New Westminster Archives (IHP8004).
$1150 CAD

 


37. [SOUTH FORT GEORGE]
[Original Photograph of the Hotel Northern in South Fort George, Titled:] Arrival of First Stage. So. Ft. George. B.C. Oct. 19, 1911; [With a Printed Business Card of the Hotel Northern, ca. 6x10 cm/ 2 ¼ x 3 ¾ in].

Ca. 1911. Silver print ca. 12,5x17,5 cm (4 ¾ x 6 ¾ in). Titled in negative. Mounted on period card and recently matted. Overall a very good photo.
The postcard shows the first stage coach in front of the new Hotel Northern, with the welcoming party on the veranda. The business card reads: “Hotel Northern, A. Johnson Prop. South Fort George, B.C. Free Motor Bus Meets All Trains and Boats. Finest Sample Rooms in the Interior of British Columbia for Commercial Men”.
“Hoteliers Al Johnson and Robert Burns arrived [in South Fort George] in 1910, but wisely waited until the BC Express Company chose South Fort George as the location for their office and steamer landing. Once Johnson and Burns learned that the newly built and luxurious BX would be landing at South Fort George, they built the Hotel Northern and applied for and received a liquor license by December 1910. Unfortunately the first Hotel Northern wouldn't operate for very long and would burn down on July 1st, 1911. However, Al Johnson wasted no time in replacing it and built the second Hotel Northern on Hamilton Avenue, on the corner of 3rd Street. At the height of rail construction, particularly throughout 1913, the Northern was one of the busiest bars in British Columbia, employing 12-15 bartenders who worked along a 120-foot-long (37 m) bar. During this period, the Northern often sold $7000 worth of 25 cent drinks in a single day”. (Wikipedia).
$750 CAD

 


38. [STONEY CREEK – C.P.R.]
[Original Photograph of a C.P.R. Train Crossing the Stoney Creek Bridge].

Ca. 1900. Gelatin silver print ca. 23,5x19 cm (9 ¼ x 7 ½ in). Titled in negative (left part illegible, the right one reads “Canadian Pacific Railway”). Recently matted. A very good bright photo.
“Stoney Creek Bridge is a 660-foot (200 m) long truss arch bridge which carries the Canadian Pacific Railway tracks 300 feet (91 m) over the Stoney Creek, between Revelstoke and Golden. A wooden bridge was originally built on the site in 1885, and the current steel structure was built in 1893. A second set of arches was added in 1929 to handle heavier traffic. The original bridge was the tallest bridge in the world at that time” (Wikipedia).
$475 CAD

 


39. [VANCOUVER - EVANS, COLEMAN & EVANS WHARF]
[Original Photograph of Evans, Coleman & Evans Wharf at the Foot of Columbia Street].

Ca. 1900. Gelatin silver print ca. 19x24,5 cm (7 ½ x 9 ½ in). Mounted on original card and recently matted. A very good sharp photo.
$750 CAD

 


40. [VANCOUVER - FALSE CREEK]
[Original Photograph Titled:] Vancouver Looking South over False Creek.

Ca. 1946. Gelatin silver print ca. 19x24 cm (7 3/8 x 9 ½ in). Titled in pencil on the lower margin. Recently matted. A very good photo.
$475 CAD

 


41. [VANCOUVER - FIRE DEPARTMENT]
[Original Gelatin Silver Photograph Showing Vancouver Fire Hall N°6, Early Motorized Fire Trucks Titled in Manuscript Black Ink: Seagrave Auto Horse Waggon & Auto Chemical Engine, Gorham Rubber Co. Pacific Coast Agents, and Visiting Fire Chiefs Held In Victoria B.C. 1908.

1908. Original gelatin silver photograph ca. 19.5 x 24.5 cm (7 ¾ x 9 ¾ in.) with captions in manuscript black ink on the photograph, mounted on original card mount ca. 29.5 x 34.5 cm (11 ½ x 13 ½ in.). Overall a very strong clear photograph.
Interesting early image of the Vancouver Fire Hall No 6; the building is extant and located at 1001 Nicola St. (southwest corner of Nelson and Nicola Streets), West End. The photo shows Gorham Rubber Co. Pacific Coast Agents and Fire Chiefs visiting from a conference in Victoria posing in the new motorized fire trucks – auto hose wagon and auto chemical engine produced by Seagrave Co. of Columbus, Ohio. Vancouver became one of the first cities in North America with motorized fire departments. The first free motorized vehicles were bought by the chief of the fire department John Howe Carlisle in 1907. “In 1911, the Vancouver department was ranked, by a committee of international experts, as among the “world's best in efficiency and equipment,” and in 1917 became Canada's first completely motorized department” (Vancouver Fire and Rescue: Early Days/ The History of Metropolitan Vancouver on-line).
$850 CAD

 


42. [VANCOUVER - GRANVILLE STREET]
[Original Photo of Granville Street in Vancouver, with Automobiles and Street Cars, and the building of the Second C.P.R. Station in the Background].

Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 16,5x24 cm (6 ½ x 9 ½ in). Recently matted. Minor creases in the left lower corner, old mount residue on verso, otherwise a very good photo.
The second C.P.R. station was built in 1899 at the foot of Granville Street in Gothic Style. It was replaced with the current Neoclassical style building in 1914, thus being in service for only 16 years.
$750 CAD

 


43. [VANCOUVER - GRANVILLE STREET]
[Original Photo Looking North from Granville Street, with the Hudson’s Bay Co.’s Store on the right and Street Cars Going on Granville].

Ca. 1920s. Gelatin silver print ca. 18x23 cm (7x9 in). Recently matted. Pen inscription “Granville St., Vancouver, B.C.” and an ink stamp of the “Publicity Branch, Department of Immigration & Colonization, Ottawa, Canada” on verso. A very good bright photo.
$850 CAD

 


44. [VANCOUVER - GRANVILLE & HASTINGS CORNER]
[Original Photo Looking East from Granville Street, with a street car approaching from Hastings Street].

Ca. 1900. Gelatin silver print ca. 11,5x16,5 cm (4 ½ x 6 ½ in). Mounted on a period card and recently matted. Minor fading, otherwise a very good photo.
The photograph shows Hastings Street looking east from Granville Street with the Alfred Bunker and Customs House building (formerly L.A. Hamilton's house) on the right and George Trorey's jewelry store on the left (since 1906 - the Birks store). Note the wooden sidewalk.
$450 CAD

 


45. [VANCOUVER - HARBOUR]
[Original Gelatin Silver Photograph Titled:] “Empress of India” Leaving Vancouver Harbour July 1903.

1903. Original platinum print photograph ca. 16.5 x 21.5 cm (6 ½ x 8 3/8 in.), , mounted on original stiff card, with caption in period manuscript black ink on the mount. Overall a good strong photograph.
$525 CAD

 


46. [VANCOUVER – HASTINGS AND CAMBIE STREET]
[Original Albumen Photograph Looking West on Hastings Street from Cambie Street.]

Ca. 1896. Original albumen photograph ca. 17 x 22.5 cm (6 ½ x 8 ¾ in.), mounted on original stiff card mount and captioned in period manuscript pencil on verso. Old mount residue on verso, otherwise a very good photograph.
Interesting scene of Hastings Street taken from Victory Square, with the Vancouver Courthouse on the left (built in 1894 and torn down in 1911-1913), and the “Arcade” complex of stores and offices on the right (built in 1895), which housed the Great Northern Railway offices, “Pacific Business College,” “Campbell’s Store,” and others.
“Hastings & Cambie Sts., summer 1896. The centre of Vancouver. On the left, out of sight, the court house, before which, in sept. 1901, a brilliant welcome was accorded T.R.H. the Duke & Duchess of ornwall and York, afterwards King George and Queen Mary. Here, in the centre of the street, in the spring of 1900, we celebrated the relief of Mafeking, with a huge bonfire which burned a great hole in the new wood block pavement. No street cars east of here; all street cars turn down Cambie St. to Cordova street, the principal retail shopping street. On left, Inns of Court building, where, at the corner of Hamilton & Hastings streets, L.A. Hamilton drove a stake, and commenced to survey the forest into streets and blocks. The first office of the “Imperial Bank of Canada” was on this corner. Buildings in the distance include O’Brien’s hall, post office; the Pacific Business College was the first commercial school.
On the corner, a wooden building is the famed “Arcade,” with thirteen small shops, cutting through corner from Hastings to Cambie St. The first office of the “Great Northern Railway” is on the corner <…>. Street car fares, five cents; no tickets. The “Arcade” was built about Dec. 1895. “Meet you in the Arcade” was a common expression. Wood plank side walk; think street was macadam, replaced, 1900, with wood blks. Left hand “rule of the road.” No traffic lights; jay walking permitted; the word not known. <…> Electric arc light street lights, attended to daily by man in buggy. Eleven cross arms on telephone poles” (Matthews, Major JS, Early Vancouver, Vol. 7. City of Vancouver Archives, 1956).
$850 CAD

 


47. [VANCOUVER - PAGEANT]
[Original Photo Titled:] Vancouver Pageant, June 12, 1914. # 6.

Ca. 1914. Gelatin silver print ca. 20x25 cm (7 ¾ x 9 ¾ in). Titled in negative. Recently matted. A very good bright photo.
The procession is on the Hastings Street, next to the corner with Carrall Street, with Balmoral Hotel (159 E. Hastings) in the background; and E.S. Knowlton’s drugstore (left) and Woods Hotel (right) in the foreground. The horse driven cart in the centre represents “Ross & Howard Iron Works Co. Ltd.”
“The photo was taken by a B.C. Electric Railway Company photographer from a window of the then two-year old B.C. Electric Railway’s terminal building. The parade was part of the Pageant of Vancouver celebrations, a two-day event held on Thursday, June 11 and Friday, June 12, 1914. <…> The parade had started at the Horse Show Building at the Pacific National Exhibition ground and featured many floats sponsored by Vancouver companies depicting historical events in the city’s – at that time – short 28 year history. <…> There were apparently no more Pageants of Vancouver after that first one. <…> Just two months later, the first Canadian troops would be leaving from the Canadian Pacific’s just opened new terminal on Cordova (today’s Waterfront Station) for the soon-to-be learned horrors of World War I…” (McGraw, J. Pageant of Vancouver 99 Years Ago// Vancouver Historical Society Newsletter, June 2013, p. 3-4.)
$975 CAD

 


48. [VICTORIA]
[Original Albumen Photograph of Downtown Victoria Looking Northwest].

Ca. 1880s. Original albumen photograph ca. 18.5 x 24 cm (7 ¼ x 9 ½ in.) mounted on original paper mount. Recently matted. Overall a strong, sharp photograph.
Taken from Christ Church Cathedral, the photo shows Victoria’s downtown core with an empty lot where St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church would be built in 1890-91 (corner of Douglas and Broughton Streets), and Point Ellice Bridge in the upper right corner.
$875 CAD

 


49. [VICTORIA – INNER HARBOUR]
[Original Albumen Photographic View of Victoria’s Inner Harbour with the James Bay Bridge, the “Birdcages,” John Weiler’s Furniture Factory, and the Radio Tower].

Ca. late 1880s. Original albumen photograph ca. 18.5 x 24 cm (7 ¼ x 9 ½ in.) mounted on original paper mount. Recently matted. Overall a strong, sharp photograph.
An interesting view taken from Christ Church Cathedral and overlooking the James Bay in what is now downtown Victoria. The photo features James Bay bridge (built in 1869), before it was filled in 1903-1904, the tidal flats, the complex of the first Legislative Buildings (known as “Birdcages”) on the far left, John Weiler furniture factory, densely built Inner Harbour up to the Laurel Point, and the Esquimalt Peninsula in the background.
“Weiler arrived in 1861 from California, intending to head to the gold fields of the Cariboo. He instead decided to stay in Victoria and in 1862 opened a household furnishings business. His burgeoning success led him to commission the first portion of this substantial factory and warehouse in 1884. In 1891, John Weiler retired, and turned the business over to his four sons, George, Charles, Otto and Joseph. By then, the building had been tripled in size with an addition to the east, and included a large showroom, display and factory space. Weiler Brothers continued to prosper, and moved to a large new structure at 921 Government Street in 1898.” (Canada’s Historic Places)
$925CAD

 


50. [VICTORIA - INNER HARBOUR]
[Original Photograph of the Inner Harbour of Victoria taken in Winter, with the Wooden Bridge across James Bay on the Right and the Tower of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in the Distance].

1895. Albumen print ca. 16x21,5 cm (6 ¼ x 8 ½ in). Mounted on a period album leaf and recently matted. Blind stamped text “M. F.K. Rives, No. 74” on the left margin. Manuscript caption in French “Victoria, Aout 1895” on the mount. Minor foxing on the right margin of the mount, left upper corner creased, otherwise a very good photo.
Opened in 1890, “St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church is a landmark red-brick structure, located at the corner of Douglas and Broughton Streets in downtown Victoria. The Church is notable for its prominent corner tower, which is situated at a bend in Broughton Street and terminates the view to the west. The church displays a number of distinctive features, including crow-stepped gables, a variety of projections and towers, corner tourelles, and a picturesque roofline” (HistoricPlaces.ca).
$575 CAD

 


 



 
About Us | Contact Us ©2017 The Wayfarer's Bookshop     
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of Canada International League of Antiquarian Booksellers Provincial Booksellers' Fairs Association International Map Collectors' Society The Ephemera Society Royal Geographical Society