Samarkand: Typ. “Tovarishchestvo”, . Small Octavo (ca. 16,5x12,5 cm). Two parts in one. [32 - ads], , 102; , v, , 137, [24 - ads] pp. Original publisher’s illustrated wrappers. Pre-revolutionary Russian ink stamp “Price 30 cop.” on the front wrapper. Soviet library stamp on verso of the title page and on p. 17 in part 1. Wrappers slightly soiled, with minor tears, but overall a very good copy of this rare book in its original state.
Very Rare Russian provincial imprint with only one paper copy found in Worldcat (the “Directory… for 1902” in University and State Library of Saxony-Anhalt). A beautiful copy preserved in the original publisher’s illustrated wrappers. This is the official directory and address book of the Samarkand Province of the Russian Empire – a former part of the Khanate of Bukhara which has been annexed during the Russian advance to Central Asia in the 1860s and joined the Imperial Turkestan General Governorship in 1887. After the Russian Revolution of 1917 and the formation of the USSR the Samarkand province became a part of the Uzbek SSR and after 1991 – of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
The “Directory” was compiled by the Statistical Committee of the Samarkand Province (1887-1919) - the official government centre of statistical and ethnographic studies in the region. The Committee published the “Spavochnaya Knizhka” [Reference Book] of the Samarkand Province in 1893-1907; since 1896 its part titled “Directory and Adress Book” started being issued separately, and its publication continued until the beginning of WW1 in 1914. Apart from these two serial editions, the Statistical Committee issued several separate works on the region, including a pocket Russian-Uzbek dictionary, a list of towns and villages in the province, an overview of local wineries etc., and in 1896 opened the “Samarkand Museum of nature, archaeology, and ethnography” (modern-day Samarkand Museum of History and Art of the Uzbek People). The Committee’s Secretary Mikhail Virsky, who prepared all address books and directories for publication, served as a collegiate councillor (“kollezhsky sovietnik”) under the direct command of the military governor of the Samarkand Province Viktor Medinsky (1837-1908).
The book consists of two parts: the “Directory” (part III of the serial publication since 1896) with the general information about the province (geography, administration, districts, population, Russian settlers, agriculture, cotton industries, livestock, fincance, real estate, public health, education, courts etc.), and the “Adress Book” (part VII of the serial publication since 1893) containing the names and addresses of all government officials (in Samarkand and four provincial districts), societies and public organizations, hospitals, clinics and doctors, post offices, railway stations, forestries, charities, libraries, shops, artisans, photo studios, bookshops, bazaars and even “Merchant karavan-sarais in the native part of Samarkand.” The first 32 and the last 24 pages are occupies with numerous ads from local businesses. Overall an important reference book on the history of Samarkand and its environs in the early 20th century.
Price: $1,850.00 USD