Ca. 1877-1910. Collection of 73 various documents and ephemera (see detailed description below). One large chromolithographed ad with a corner torn off, but neatly repaired; one postcard age toned and with a crease on the right margin; one wine label with a corner missing, letters with foldmarks and minor tears, one letter in Spanish incomplete, but overall a very good collection.
Interesting extensive collection of early rare documents and ephemera illustrating the history of Californian wine and liquor industry in the latter part of the 19th and the early 20th century. The documents relate to a number of famous Californian wineries and their wines and liquors, illustrating the early years of their history. One of the two albumen photos dating back to the 1880s is a portrait of a manager or possibly an owner of the J. Gundlach & Co. winery (“Gundlach Bundschu Winery” est. 1858, it is the oldest continuously family-owned winery in California) posing next to a horse-driven cart with the winery’s logo (ca. 10,5x14,5 cm or 4 x 5 ¾ in). The other photo shows the inner court of a winery with a tower on the left, wine barrels piled in the centre, and the vineyard in the background (ca. 15x20 cm or 6x8 in).
The group of “wine & liquor labels” includes thirty-three printed or chromolithographed pieces, including twenty-three classic rectangular labels (from 10x12,5 cm or 4x5 in to ca. 5,5x11 cm or 2 ¼ x 4 ½ in), and ten smaller round or oval labels by “J. Gundlach & Co.” (from ca. 3,5 to 2,3 cm or 1 ¼ to 1 inch in diameter, three dated 1882 and 1884). The rectangular labels represent Californian Angelica (by Herm. Wohler, E.F. Hynes, San Gabriel Wine Co.), zinfandel (P.F. Lint, Edw. Oullahan), muscatel (Sacramento Valley winery), claret (Chauché & Bon), sauterne (P.F. Lint, Sacramento Valley winery), brandy (the Rosenblatt Co, G. Aguillon, Kohler & Frohling), port (the Rosenblatt Co.), carbonated California burgundy (Gundlach-Bundschu Wine Co.), and others.
The colourful group of “business cards and printed ads” includes eight classic business cards ca. 7x11 cm (2 ¾ x 4 ½ in) or slightly smaller, issued by “Italian-Californian Wine Co., San Francisco;” “Napa Valley Wine Comp’ys, San Francisco & Chicago;” “Eureka Wine House, San Francisco;” “California Wine Depots, Richie & Bro., Buffalo, N.Y.;” “California Wine Co., San Francisco;” “Charles W. Cheney, Lowell;” “Flegenheimer Bros., New York;” and “F. Korbel and Bros. Inc., Korbel.” There is also a large chromolithographed ad of “Julius Paul Smith, Grower, Livermore” (ca. 10x23,5 cm or 4 x 9 ¼ in); a lithographed invitation to the Grand Opening of the “Kearny Street Wine House” in San Francisco, ca. late 1890s (ca. 9x11,5 cm or 3 ½ x 4 ½ in); and a chromolithographed greeting card for the new 1888, issued by “J. Gundlach Co.” (ca. 23x15,5 cm or 9x6 in).
The group of postal ephemera includes an interesting early postcard ca. 7,5x13 cm (3x5 in) with the advertising of “A. Brun & Co., Nouveau Medoc Wine Cellar,” a colour printed postcard showing Winehaven, Richmond (addressed to Texas and stamped in the 1900s), and four envelopes dating back to the 1890s and all related to Hans Ferdinand Albertz (d. 1923), the owner of the Moulton Hill Winery near Cloverdale (the city’s largest winery in the 1890s, bankrupted in the 1910s) – one envelope bears the letterhead of the “Moulton Hill Vineyard”, and the others were sent to Albertz from “Macondray Bros. & Lockards, Importers,” “Pacific Wine & Spirit Review, Journal of Viticulture,” and “Santa Rosa Wine Cellars.”
There are also five official letters authored by the wineries’ owners, a barrel manufacturer and the administration of the California Wine Association, all written on paper with the official letterheads, in all 8 pp. of text, paper size ca. 28x21,5 cm (11 x 8 ½ in). The letters are written and signed by: 1) and 2) Nathan La Fayette Bachman of the Chateau de Clapboard Vineyard in Fresna, 18 May and 2 July 1894, corresponding with the owner of a part of the winery’s crop about the condition and progress of the vines; 3) J. Kucich, manufacturer of “wine casks, barrels and kegs of all sizes,” 23 October 1894, written in Spanish, second lead missing; 4) California Wine Association, 3 January 1899 regarding the rise of “all prices on wines and brandies effective this day;” and 5) Paul Wack of Hill Side Winery, 24 June 1905, regarding the rental of a part of the winery building “for stay and feed purposes.”
The “financial papers” group contains seven invoices from 1874 to 1897, all completed in manuscript on the official printed forms, from ca. 27x30 cm (10 ¾ x 11 ¾ in) to ca. 12 x 21,5 cm (4 ¾ x 8 ½ in): issued by “Lachman & Jacobi, San Francisco” (1874); “Napa Valley Nurseries, Napa City” (1885); “The Rosenblatt Co., San Francisco” (1893); “Palmtag’s Vineyard, Hollister” (1895); “Migliavacca Wine Company, Napa” (1896); “Inglenook Vineyard Agency, Rutherford” (1897); “Loma Grande Vineyard Co., San Francisco” (n.d.) There are also two receipts and a cheque, also completed in manuscript on the official printed forms, from ca. 6,5 x 19 cm (2 ½ x 7 ½ in) to ca. 28x21,5 cm (11 x 8 ½ in): issued by “Lachman & Yacobi” (1881), Hannah & Weinberger (1883), and “Napa Valley Wine Company, St. Helena” (1888). The three woodcut shares, completed in ink, were issued by “Buena Vista Vinicultural Society, San Francisco” (1870), “Johnson Brandy and Wine, Marysville” (1872), and “Napa and Sonoma Wine Company, St. Helena” (1874).
The price lists include a printed booklet by “H.J. Woollacott. Wine & Liquor Dealer, Los Angeles” (1894; two folds, ca. 14,5x8,5 cm or 5 ¾ x 3 ½ in when folded), and two inventories of C.A. Babb’s winery near San Jose, compiled in 1910 – “Wine Cellar” & “Cigars & Tobacco” (3 and 1 leaves respectively, both are printed forms completed in manuscript, ca. 40x27,5 cm or 16x11 in).
Overall a rich and unusual collection of early papers and ephemera illustrating the early years of the wine and liquor industry in California.
Price: $9,500.00 USD