Ca. 1889. Watercolours each ca.9 x 17 & 20 cm (4 x 7 & 8 in.). Recently matted, overall very good watercolours.
The watercolours show a lighthouse and quarantine station and an official camp with a British merchant navy flag. "Isla de Flores is a small island in the Rio de la Plata, 21 miles southeast of Punta Carretas, Montevideo, Uruguay.., Flores was named by Sebastián Gaboto, who discovered it on Easter Sunday 1527..,
It has a historic lighthouse, which was the subject of an 1819 treaty, by which Uruguay lost the Misiones Orientales. This lighthouse, of Portuguese origin, entered service in 1828. It was dubbed "the world's most expensive lighthouse" . The lighthouse is now under the jurisdiction of the Uruguayan Navy. It is 37 meters high and flashes twice every 10 seconds"(Wikipedia).
Price: $750.00 USD