Ca. 1890s. Oblong Folio album (ca. 26x35,5 cm). 12 card stock leaves. With 24 mounted albumen photographs, from ca. 22x25,5 cm (8 ½ x 10 in) to ca. 19x26 cm (7 ½ x 10 ¼ in). All photos captioned in negative. Period brown full cloth album with a gilt-lettered title “Fotografias de Montevideo” on the front board. Period owner’s brown ink signatures on both endpapers. Binding neatly repaired on the spine and extremities, gilt titling faded, mounts slightly waved and with minor scratches, a couple of photos mildly faded, two photos with minor scratches affecting the images, but overall a very good album of strong interesting photos.
Attractive collection of rare large early photographs of Montevideo, taken by John Fitz-Patrick, one of the city's best photographers at the time. The photos show “Fortaleza del Cerro;” “Hotel Nacional” (built in 1890, but never functioned as such); “Gran Establecimiento Balneario de C.G. y E.R.” (large spa complex, built in 1888 and demolished in 1907); “Plaza Constitucion” (with the Metropolitan Cathedral); “Palacio de Gobierno” (the Estevez Palace); “Correo” (post office); “Vista general” (with Montevideo Bay); “Vista de la parte Sud” (featuring Calle Sarandi, Club Uruguay and the office of publisher Carlos Maveroff); “Vista general” (with Hotel Central, Montevideo Bay and Cerro Montevideo); “Calle 25 de Mayo;” “Calle de 18 de Julio;” “Cabildo” (now the Historical Archive); “Teatro Solis” (opened in 1856) “Recepcion del Obispo Dr. Mariano Soler” (Dr. Mariano Soler (1846-1908), the first Roman Catholic archbishop of Montevideo in in 1891-1908); “Plaza Independencia, Marzo, 1 de 1890” (military parade in honour of the inauguration of the President Julio Herrera y Obes); “Recreo del Prado;” “Plaza Cagancha” (with the Pillar of Peace, a brewery, “El Volcan” store, etc.); “Bolsa” (stock exchange); “Banos de la Playa Ramirez” (spas on the Ramirez beach); “Carcel preventiva y correccional” (Miguelete prison, opened in 1888, functioned until 1986, how houses the Natural History Museum); “Hospital Italiano de Montevideo, extremidad norte” (built in 1890, functions nowadays); “Legacion Argentina;” “Ranchos de Canpana;” and “Carniando una Res.”
John Fitz-Patrick was “one of the most noted and esteemed photographers of 19th-century Montevideo. Born in Newark, England on November 3, 1847, Fitz-Patrick was educated in Belgium, travelled to the United States, and arrived in Uruguay in February 1858. After some years of private teaching, he again took up his old profession of photographer with the studio Masoni, where he worked with Charles Wallace Chute (1846-1923) and Thomas Brooks, both American photographers who started the company of Chute & Brooks in 1868 in Montevideo. Finally Fitz-Patrick opened his own studio, called Fotografía Inglesa, located in Calle Rincón 176. He tirelessly documented all official events during this period of Uruguayan history and produced a great collection of negatives of great historical and social value. During the 1890s, his photos appeared regularly in the illustrated reviews, La ilustración sudamericana, and Caras y caretas” (Online archive of California, https://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c86q1z7q/entire_text/.
Price: $3,250.00 USD